Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Subclass 187 Visas Please note that this visa is only available to certain transitional applicants.
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme or RSMS visa is a permanent employer sponsored visa which requires a job offer in a Regional Area of Australia.
RSMS Application Stages
There are two stages to an RSMS (Temporary Residence Transitional) application:
- Nomination: review of the business and position by the Department of Immigration
- Visa application: applicant is aged under 45 (unless exemptions or grandfathering provisions apply) and has worked with the employer on a 457/482 visa for at least 2 or 3 years (depending on grandfathering provisions).
RSMS Regional Areas
In order to be granted an RSMS visa, the employee must be offered a position in a regional
area. The regional areas are specified by postcode by the Department of Immigration.
The following are considered Regional areas for the purposes of RSMS sponsorship:
- The whole of South Australia
- The whole of Tasmania
- The whole of ACT
- The whole of Northern Territory
- The whole of Western Australia
- New South Wales (NSW) - all areas excluding Sydney
- Victoria - all areas excluding Melbourne
- Queensland - all areas excluding Brisbane