Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa

Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa

The Subclass 870 Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa enables parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents to be sponsored for an extended temporary stay in Australia. This visa does not lead to permanent residency.

Duration and Conditions

The Temporary Sponsored Parent visa allows parents to stay for a maximum of 10 years cumulatively. There are two different validity periods available:

  • 5 year visa, with a cost of $10,000 per applicant
  • 3 year visa, with a cost of $5,000 per applicant

Both visas have an initial lodgement fee of $1,000, with the balance paid as a second Visa Application Charge prior to grant. Note that each parent must lodge their own visa application and pay their own fees.


The parent must be sponsored by a child (or spouse of the child) who is either:

  • An Australian citizen; or
  • A permanent resident who has been usually resident in Australia for at least 4 years.

The sponsor must be over 18 years of age, meet character requirements, and be able to show a taxable income of at least $83,454.80 in the last tax return. Another household member can also show income to assist in meeting this threshold (i.e. spouse of the sponsor or child of the sponsor), however, the sponsor themselves must be able to show at least 50%.

As part of the sponsorship process, the sponsor agrees to pay the costs of medical and aged care, provide financial support and accommodation, and advise Immigration on any change of circumstances.

Visa Application

Applicants are required to evidence access to sufficient funds to meet the costs of their stay, as well as acceptable health insurance. If the applicant has previously been in Australia on a Temporary Sponsored Parent visa, they must have spent at least 90 days outside Australia before reapplying.

Visa holders are not permitted to work while in Australia.

Can I be in Australian when I apply?

Applicants must be outside of Australia at the time of application, though they can be in or outside Australia at the time of grant.

Stay up to date - Subscribe to Immigration News!