Training Subclass 407 Visas

The Training Subclass 407 Visa is a short stay visa for people occupational training or professional development in Australia.

Common Visa Criteria

There are two eligibility pathways for the visa. However, all applicants must show that they:
  • Have turned 18 (or can demonstrate exceptional circumstances)
  • Have functional English
  • Hold private health insurance
  • Have access to sufficient funds to support themselves in Australia
  • Genuinely intend to stay temporarily in Australia for the intended purpose
  • Meet health and character requirements

Sponsorship by an approved Temporary Activities Sponsor is required.

Occupational Trainees

This stream requires a nomination by the sponsor to do one of the following activities in Australia:
  • Training required to obtain registration, membership or a licence to work in Australia or home country
  • Training in a gazetted occupation - in this case, the applicant must have worked full time in the occupation for at least 12 of the last 24 months
  • Up to 6 months of practical experience, research or observation is required to obtain an overseas qualification
  • Training supported by a government agency or the applicant's home government
Occupational training would generally require at least 70% of the training to be on-the-job versus classroom training.

Professional Development

This would require you to be working overseas in a management or professional position. Training is primarily classroom training and would need to be in skills relevant to your position.

How do I apply?

The application must be lodged online. You can either be in Australia or overseas when lodging the application.

Can I Include Family Members?

Family members (spouses and children) can be included in your application.

Visa Conditions

The visa is generally valid for stay in Australia of 2 years. The visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training specified in the visa application. You must also maintain your health insurance whilst in Australia.

Stay up to date - Subscribe to Immigration News!